Thursday, April 9, 2009

Update

Food handouts and people coming over for food to eat - already cooked stuff - is slowly gaining interest.
A few factors that are causing people not to come that otherwise would are first: wondering whether I'm a nutcase/kook/the next mass murdered and second: human traits: pride and dignity definitely get in the way.
I'm a pretty laid-back person, I make the process as painless as possible.
A lady that had come to the party just stopped by here - they moved here from out-of-state not long ago and her boyfriend just found a job 2 days ago.
In the interim - they don't have much to eat.
They came here because there were no jobs where they were at.

Those stories are endless at this point in time - the news is reporting statements that the end of the freefall may be near. All nice and well, tell that to the almost 700,000 people who lost their jobs last month.

I also had the idea the other day of simply taking a person to Fry's (a grocery chain in Arizona) last week and get them $40 worth of food. The replies to that Craigslist ad were endless. I had it up less than 24 hours. Probably only needed to have it up 20 minutes! I just posted the ad and then went to bed, went to work and didn't get to check email until I got home. I truly wish I could have helped all of them - especially considering some of the stories that came with the replies of families that are cash-strapped, not eating well - or hardly at all - a lot of desperation out there.

Anyway, I won't be doing that again as I can't really afford to do that, I just wanted to do it once. There have also been some offers from people to bring food over. Anyone wanting to do that I will gladly accept it and give it out to those that stop by.

As for another party - just not sure yet. I've kinda busied myself giving out food both by having people over that are hungry, have them sit down and eat and also by simply giving stuff away. I have toyed with the idea of a "Park Restaurant" - having something like I had at my house - excepting doing it at a park. A lot more work that way, yes, but I imagine more people would be inclined to come since it isn't at a private residence.

ben

No comments:

Post a Comment